Blunts have become a staple in cannabis culture, and their popularity has only continued to grow. With the rise of different smoking techniques and accessories, choosing the right tool for the job can be challenging.
Snoop Dogg, a well-known American rapper, actor and cannabis enthusiast, has made headlines for having a personal blunt roller on his team. But what about a blunt press? Are they interchangeable? If you're new to the world of blunts, the difference between a personal blunt roller and a blunt press might not be immediately clear. In this blog post, we'll break down the key differences between the two and help you choose the right tool for your next smoking session.
What is a Personal Blunt Roller?
The phrase “personal blunt roller” can refer to one of two things:
- A person employed to roll blunts
- A device used to roll personal-sized blunts
For this blog, “personal blunt roller” refers to the first definition.
What Does a Personal Blunt Roller Do?
Personal blunt rollers spend their day catering to the unique demands of their clients, which can include:
- Selecting specific strains of cannabis and customizing the size and shape of each blunt
- Gathering various cultivars and rolling materials to match the customer’s desires
- Carefully rolling each blunt to perfection by a set deadline or on an ongoing basis
Overall, the job of a personal blunt roller is to provide their clients with a premium smoking experience and ensure that they are satisfied with their product every time.
Which Celebrities Have Personal Blunt Rollers?
Waka Flocka Flame made headlines nearly a decade ago when he hired Seth Rogen as his full-time blunt roller, but Snoop Dogg is the most famous celebrity with a personal blunt roller. Other stars that have hired personal blunt or joint rollers include Drake, Wiz Khalifa, Madonna, Kid Cudi and Rihanna.
How to Become a Personal Blunt or Professional Joint Roller
To become a personal blunt or professional joint roller, extensive knowledge of cannabis strains and well-practiced rolling techniques are essential.
It’s significantly easier to land a job as a professional joint rolling technician than a personal blunt roller, with entry-level joint roller technicians starting at about $20 an hour with benefits. Working as a personal blunt or professional joint roller can be an enjoyable experience, surrounded by great people who share a love for cannabis.
Pros and Cons of Personal Blunt Rollers
The benefits of employing a personal blunt roller include
- Convenience — it sure is nice to have someone twist up your fatties.
- Prestige — personal blunt rollers are a real status symbol.
- Customization — like a personal chef, your blunt roller will cater to you.
The drawbacks of employing a personal blunt roller include
- Cost — at around $50,000/year with benefits, personal blunt rollers are a pretty penny.
- Availability — your blunt roller will work limited hours.
- Legality — depending on your locale, employing a personal blunt roller could be illegal.
What is a Blunt Press?
A blunt press is a tool used to make blunts or cannagars. It compresses the cannabis, after which you wrap it in the material of choice (from hemp leaves to rose petals), creating a tightly packed blunt. We'll explore the benefits of using a blunt press and how to use one.
What Does a Blunt Press Do?
The point of compressing cannabis is to create a slower-burning and more flavorful smoking experience. Compressing the cannabis allows for the flavors and terpenes to be released slower, resulting in a more enjoyable and longer-lasting smoking experience. Additionally, compressing the cannabis can increase the product's potency by allowing more herb to be packed into the cigar or cannagar.
How Do You Use a Blunt Press?
See the full details on making a cannagar with a blunt press here.
- Lock the mold and insert a clean skewer through the bottom hole.
- Place ground-up flower into the mold funnel and use the packing tool to pack it a little at a time for maximum compression.
- Press down hard on each pack with the packing tool and put some weight on it. Leave the packed mold to cure in a cool, dry place for several hours or overnight. Technically, mini and personal-sized (smaller) cannagars don’t need to be cured, but curing will always lead to better results!
- Carefully remove the cannagar core, wrap it with your desired wrap, add some wax or concentrates, and use the wooden tip for a classy feel.
- Light with a torch lighter and enjoy by placing your mouth entirely over the wooden tip to avoid burning your lips with the hot smoke.
Pros and Cons of Using a Blunt Press
The benefits of using a blunt press include
- Affordability — cannagars can have a hefty price tag in dispensaries.
- Customization — add kief or concentrates, wrap it in roses — this blunt is your oyster!
- Potency — compression increases your blunt’s terpy deliciousness.
- Enjoyability — have you ever chilled on a blunt for an hour? You can with a cannagar.
- Uniformity — a beautiful, consistent smoke, every time.
The drawbacks of using a blunt press include
- Time — the longer the compression, the better the smoke
- Learning — once you get the hang of a blunt press, you’ll never look back
Is a Personal Blunt Roller or a Blunt Press Better?
A blunt press is generally considered a better option than a personal blunt roller. While personal blunt rollers offer convenience, customization, and prestige, they come with a high cost and limited availability. On the other hand, a blunt press is affordable and offers customization options, potency, and uniformity in the smoke. While the drawback of a blunt press is the time needed for compression and the learning curve, once mastered, it offers a consistent and enjoyable smoke experience. Employing a personal blunt roller could also be illegal, depending on local laws.
While we can’t all afford a personal blunt roller like Snoop Dogg, making dank cannagars, joints and blunts at home with a blunt press is achievable and enjoyable.
Don’t take our word for it — check out the nearly 1500 positive reviewers who can’t stop raving about Purple Rose Supply’s cannagar molds.Ready to get pressing and rolling? Check out our best sellers to find cannagar kits, blunt press kits and other rolled-smoke accessories. Purple Rose Supply’s must-have tools will quickly take your smoking experience to a whole new high.